Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Post 3: Should I really do MS ?

Many of us will have this question initially - Should I really do MS ?
The answer to this question depends on you!, but be aware that the whole process takes a little more than a year.

Some people develop their interest for MS/ PhD pretty early, before they start Bachelors. Some people develop it during their Bachelors, but a lot of people are not sure even after they finish their Bachelor's degree.

My suggestion is to have an open mind. You don't really have to think about everything in a sequential manner, you just have to do them in the right manner. You always can think about Step-2 before Step-1, all that matters is you should do Step-1 before Step-2. More often than not, this approach will get you better prepared for Step-1 as well. In this case, you think about what would you do after you get your MS. This will help you get some points for your SOP (Statement of Purpose for your application as well)

Most probably, your answer will be on of the following -
1. I want to learn, I don't feel like I have learnt a lot in Bachelor's
2. I want to explore, I want to see how it is to study in another well-known place
3. I want to get a good job and make money
4. If I get an MS from USA, then I'l get married in a good family.
5. I am a girl who is going to turn 25, I want to get away from marriage.

Now, if the answer is 4 or 5, its not really a good reason to pursue MS. You are probably wasting time, effort and money in a lot of cases.

Another important thing, is to listen to others but follow only what you think would be correct in these matters. During the time I was applying for MS, I had the chance to meet an Assistant Professor from one of the well known universities. He said, an MS from US will make you a hot piece in the marriage market, but it would be good if you could spend another year, do some good work and get into one of the top 3-5 ranked universities. I am glad, I didn't take that piece of advice!

My mom realized that I would be happier if I did my Master's. By nature, I like travelling and experiencing different things. But, when I got to 8th semester, while doing my project I realized, I didn't know a lot of things and had lots more to learn. I wanted to explore and experience!

The biggest take-away for me from my MS in the USA is the attitude I've developed towards life in general :)


No comments:

Post a Comment